Tuesday, July 11, 2017
News Corner: Just The News... Picture It In Reading!
1. Dangote Donates N50million To Ile Ife Clash Victims.
Africa’s richest man, Alhaji Aliko Dangote has donated money and equipment worth over N50m to victims of the March 8 clash between Hausa and Yoruba persons in Ile-Ife.
The Managing Director of Dangote Foundation, Mrs. Suera Yusuf, who represented Dangote said this during the presentation of cheques to the victims at the palace of the Ooni of Ife, Oba Adeyeye Ogunwusi in Ile-Ife.
The beneficiaries are drawn from Hausa and Yoruba communities, who suffered losses during the clash.
2. Four Lions Escape South Africa's Kruger Park.
The South African National Parks (SANParks) has confirmed that four lions escaped from the Kruger National Park over the weekend.
The lions were last seen near a road a few kilometres away from the park last night.
Officials say it’s not clear at this stage how the big cats managed to escape, given that most of the park is fenced off.
SANParks spokesperson William Mabasa said, “We have received information to that effect and our rangers are currently looking for those animals.”
3. Dino Melaye serves INEC Order restraining it from Further Action.
Senator representing Kogi West district Dino Melaye has served the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) an order restraining it from carrying out further action.
He shared this information on Twitter, with photos of the individual pages of the restraining order.
INEC had earlier said that only a court order can stop the recall schedule of the Senator.
According to the recall schedule released by INEC, the Notice of Verification was slated for today the 10th of July.
4. Former Fist lady, Patience Jonathan, accuses EFCC acting chair, Ibrahim Magu, of asking UK government to deny her visa.
Former First lady, Patience Jonathan, has accused acting Chairman of EFCC, Ibrahim Magu, of writing to the British consulate in Nigeria to deny her visa to the United Kingdom.
In a petition which was signed by her counsel, G.I. Abibo (SAN) and sent to the House of Reps last week, the former first lady who is currently being investigated by the anti-graft agency for issues bordering on fraud and abuse of office, said Magu in a letter written to UK authorities, made spurious allegations against her all in a bid to stop the UK government from renewing her visa.
She said the allegations were however investigated by the UK authorities and found to be baseless and false.
“In February 2017, the EFCC through its acting Chairman, Mr Ibrahim Magu, made a spurious report against our client to the United Kingdom authorities and other international bodies – all in a grand design to forestall the renewal of her visa and other travel documents. The allegations against our client by the EFCC were duly investigated by the UK authorities and other international bodies who found the reports baseless and thereupon issued the visa and other travel documents to our client”the petition read
Mrs Jonathan in the petition also alleged that the EFCC was unjustly going after her family members, accusing them of fronting for her to carry out fraud.
5. Magu Drags Two Top Army Officers, Bankers To Court Over N339m.
The acting Chairman of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission, Mr Ibrahim Magu, has given details of how two army officers allegedly colluded with two employees of the United Bank for Africa Plc to divert the sum of N339m from the account of the Military Pensions Board.
Magu, in a letter dated May 23, 2017 and addressed to the Chief of Defence Staff, said the suspects, who were later charged with fraud offences on May 31, 2017, allegedly opened 33 accounts with UBA into which the MPB’s funds were diverted.
The acting EFCC Chairman said in his letter with reference number EFCC/EC/CDS/66/16 that the total sum of N339,374,478.58 was withdrawn from the MPB account across the counter or transferred to other accounts in the bank.
The two military officers accused in all the four counts filed before the High Court of the Federal Capital Territory in Abuja are a cashier with the MPB, Wing Commander Ishaka Yakubu; and an Assistant Director, Computer, with the MPB, Lieutenant Commander Akinbamidele Odunsi.
The two bankers named as defendants in two out of the four counts are a Relationship Manager with UBA, Kuforodua (Wuse Zone 2) branch, Abuja, Mrs Abidemi Kolade, and the Manager of the branch, Mrs Violet Ogoegbunam.
Giving the Chief of Defence Staff an update on the progress of the investigation on the case, prior to the filing of the charges, Magu said the bankers compromised the ‘Know Your Customer’ requirements in collusion with military officers in the opening of the 33 accounts used in diverting the MPB’s funds.
He stated, “Investigation discovered that fraudulent accounts were opened by the Business Manager, Mrs Violet Ofoegbunam, and relationship manager, Mrs Kolade Aderemi Abidemi, thereby compromising the ‘Know Your Customer’ requirements with the connivance of the two military officers.
“Thirty-three accounts were identified to have fraudulently received payments to the tune of N339,374,478.58 from Military Pensions Board between April and June 2016.”
The acting EFCC boss stated that the bankers and their spouses were also among the beneficiaries of the alleged fraud.
He stated that UBA had discovered the alleged scam after the bank’s team of auditors detected ‘some suspicious movement of funds from the accounts of supposed next of kins of deceased soldiers and officers of the Nigerian Armed Forces.
Magu noted that all the 33 accounts into which the money was diverted had been frozen.
He said out of the stolen N339m, the sum of N314m had been recovered and kept in the EFCC Recovery Account.
He also said effort to recover the balance of N25m was in progress.