Sunday, July 2, 2017
News Corner: Just The News... Picture It In Reading!
1. I want Imo people to miss me and they will definitely miss me - Governor Rochas Okorocha.
Governor Rochas Okorocha of Imo State has sent a warning signal to whoever will take over from him after the expiration of his eight year tenure as the governor of the state, saying that his successor could risk being stoned if his performance falls below the standard he had set in the state.
The governor also claimed that his administration had spoilt the people of Imo with infrastructural development which he said will be a legacy to be left behind when he completes his second term.
Okorocha who disclosed this in Abuja in an interview with State House Correspondents, explained that what his administration had done in Imo State in the past six years could be comparable to what other governors in that state whether living or dead had done.
He said that when he concludes his term and leaves the state house, he would be remembered as “a good governor who impacted positively on the lives of the people.”
His words: “I am in this job not for the profit of it but for the honour and glory of the job. So I want to leave a legacy. I want Imo people to miss me and they will definitely miss me. Believe you me they have not seen such developmental work before now and they will miss it.
“The only problem I have is that anybody that comes after me and does not perform will be stoned. Because you cannot come to Imo State now and say you want to abolish free education from primary to university, they will not accept. I have spoilt Imo people believe me.
“You cannot come to Imo State and say you want to give them a single lane road when they are now used to eight lane road in the city, they won’t accept it. You cannot come here and tell the children to go to schools where the floors are not tiled they will not accept because all the schools have been rebuilt. I have rebuilt 450 schools.”
2. Igbo group in South Africa backs Ohaneze.
Anambra poll: Igbo group in South Africa backs Ohaneze.
Chief Jonas Udeji, the founder of Ohaneze Ndigbo, a socio-cultural group in South Africa, says the stance of its national body not to boycott the Anambra governorship election is in order. Nnamdi Kanu, the self proclaimed leader of the Indigenous People of Biafra (IPOB), had called for the boycott of the Nov. 18 election in Anambra.
But the National President of Ohaneze, John Nwodo, had addressed legislators in Anambra and told them to ignore the directive. Udeji speaking in Johannesburg, South Africa, on Saturday said that Kanu was not qualified to give such a directive on behalf of Igbos. “
Ohaneze Ndigbo remains the apex body of Igbos in Nigeria and world-wide. “ No single individual will give any order on behalf of Igbos if that person is not the elected President of Ohaneze. “ We understand Nnamdi Kanu`s emotions about the plight of Igbos in Nigeria.
But, he should realise that we have a leader and that is Nwodo. “ He is the one to speak on behalf of Igbos,” he said. Udeji urged Anambra people and other South East states to ignore such directive from IPOB and elect their leaders when the opportunity comes. According to him, Igbos should collectively decide on such sensitive issues under the leadership of Ohaneze, their apex body, and not based on an individual’s directive.
He said that Anambra people had the right to elect their governor and other representatives at the local government, state and national levels. Udeji said that Ohaneze under Nwodo`s leadership had been focused and remained determined to achieve set goals and objectives.
3. Details of the fire outbreak at Federal Secretariat, Abuja.
There was a fire outbreak at the Federal Civil Service Secretariat, Abuja early Saturday morning.
It was learnt that the blaze which started from an office on the third floor in the Ministry of Tourism had destroyed electronic items and items of furniture before it was put off by men of the fire service.
It was learnt that the fire was observed by some security personnel who raised the alarm which drew the attention of emergency rescue workers around the area.
Men of the Federal and FCT Fire Services who were informed about the incident arrived shortly after and extinguished the fire.
The Director-General, Federal Capital Territory Emergency Service, Alhaji Abass Idriss stated that the fire had been brought under control.
He said, “We suspect that the fire was from an electrical spark, but everything is under control.